A Dawn of A New Era
A dawn of a new era was begun on June 22, 1940 when local members announced in a Detroit News article that a local chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous was begun in Detroit.
It started in January, 1940 (Benson’s Basement on Taylor St, Highland Park) and had grown from 3 members to 35 members, which was then located at 4242 Cass Ave.
Inquires in Detroit could be received through the Alcoholic Foundation, Post Office Box 33, North End Station and allotted to members for investigation. The North End Station was located on Milwaukee Ave east of Woodward Ave.
The article goes on to discuss a group of alcoholics banded together at the Ypsilanti State Hospital. These bands of alcoholics are helping each other to stay sober, and then they are being released to the Detroit Group. This sounds as if the Director of this group of men had gotten a copy of the book Alcoholics Anonymous from the Alcoholic Foundation in N.Y.
© 2019 all rights reserved aa area33